Search

BOOK REVIEW: The Hating Game - Sally Thorne

The Hating Game was a recommended 'pop up' on my kindle after I had finished our June Read 'The Unhoneymooners' by Christina Lauren, and holy moly I am SO glad that it shot up on my screen. The fates wanted me to find this book, and I was not disappointed!

We all know I'm a rom com fanatic, so it should come at no surprise that my favourite variety of swoon-worthy goodness, is an enemies to lovers blossoming romance, and thats exactly what Lucy and Joshua have in The Hating Game.

Thoughts: 

The Hating Game has an incredible narration throughout, I found Lucy super relatable and hilarious to read along with. The humour throughout along with Lucy's random thoughts were a breath of fresh air. There were moments of cliche and there were incredible unique moments throughout the book which was something I really enjoyed because it didn't feel like that 'same old love story' rom com, yet it was still an easy, fast paced read that didn't require overly thinking about. Pure enjoyment! 

One of my favourite elements of this book was the banter between the characters, there was- for me- just the perfect amount of slushiness with sarcasm and witty conversation. I liked the element of competition between the two characters and how they were so completely different that they were so compatible. Not to mention, Joshua's nickname for Lucy is just the bloody cutest thing ever.

In a nutshell: I really enjoyed reading this story, from the writing style to the character development. Both characters were fabulously quirky and very likeable which made the read all the more enjoyable. I loved learning more about Lucy and Joshua throughout and watching them learn about each other which completely changed how they looked at each other. It was comedy gold, romantic as hell and incredibly memorable. A joy to read and I would recommend to ALL romance lovers out there.

Steaminess level: Medium- sexual content in parts but written in a way that warms your heart.

Stars: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Favourite quote: “Since the moment I saw you. Since the moment you smiled at me. I felt like I was falling backward off a cliff. The feeling has never stopped. I’ve been trying to drag you down with me. In the worst, most ill-conceived and socially retarded way possible.”

On the cover: 


Illustration: Connie Gabbert 
Published by: 2017 edition by Paitkus

Blurb:

Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman


Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except for coldly efficient, impeccably attired, physically intimidating Joshua Templeman. And the feeling is mutual.

Trapped in a shared office together 40 (OK, 50 or 60) hours a week, they’ve be come entrenched in an addictive, ridiculous never-ending game of one-upmanship. There’s the Staring Game. The Mirror Game. The HR Game. Lucy can’t let Joshua beat her at anything—especially when a huge new promotion goes up for the taking.

If Lucy wins this game, she’ll be Joshua’s boss. If she loses, she’ll resign. So why is she suddenly having steamy dreams about Joshua, and dressing for work like she’s got a hot date? After a perfectly innocent elevator ride ends with an earth-shattering kiss, Lucy starts to wonder whether she’s got Joshua Templeman all wrong.

Maybe Lucy Hutton doesn’t hate Joshua Templeman. And maybe, he doesn’t hate her either. Or maybe this is just another game.

No comments

Post a Comment